Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Life with Weston

It's been 2 weeks since our Weston was born. Ironically.. he was born the next day after my last blog. I guess he agreed that September 1 was a good birthday :) To get everyone caught up I will start back on that Thursday the 1st.

As you all know, Wednesday was a very frustrating day for us and I had just heard back from the doctor saying she wanted to see me the next day  so she could do the scraping again (or so I thought). We got up Thursday morning anxious (especially me because I didn't want to feel the pain again from the dreaded scrape) and we went on in for our appointment at the clinic. My doctor comes hurrying in and tells me that she is going to do something that will make sure I won't get sent home from the hospital this time. I can't fully disclose what she did because apparantely she wasn't supposed to legally do it but you can use your imagination. I went into full contractions immediately after she did "it". (oh.. and she did it with no instruments.. just her hand. I thought the scrape was bad but Holy Moly.. very traumatizing) So there we were at her office and she tells Andrew to take me straight to the hospital because we are having the baby today.. seriously this time! :)

So we get checked in to the hospital and by that time my contractions were already 2 to 3 minutes apart. I was already in full blown labor. Let me tell you... those contractions don't mess around. Yikes! I think I could have handled them better if they weren't happening so frequently. But it was like that for 2 hours! I was breathing so heavily that I felt like I was going to pass out. But then....the sweet angel himself walked in with the magic medicine that made it all okay. Let me tell you ladies.. if you are trying to decide between epidural or no epidural.. well hands down epidural wins. It was like night and day. I was having a terrible contraction while he was giving me the epidural so I didn't feel it at all. And after he started the magic medicine I felt nothing. It was amazing. I went from wanting to rip my own child out of me right then and there to... chilling out watching HGTV and having very pleasant conversations with Andrew and my mom. Then, it was just playing the waiting game. By the time I got the epidural.. I believe it was around 11:00am. The nurse would come and check for progression every hour or so and by 2:00pm I was already at 7 cm. She said that once I get to 10cm it would still be another hour before i started to push and for the doctor to come in. Well, an hour later she came back in and I was 9 1/2 cm and she told me to give a practice push. I did and... he started coming on out.. haha I guess he was just as ready as I was to get here. Nurse paged the doctor to get there immediately and 5 pushes later he was here! I couldn't have asked for an easier labor and delivery. He came out screaming and holding on to the umbilical cord. Then he tried holding onto the scissors to cut his own umbilical cord. He finally let his dad do the job. 

That first night with him in the hospital was so amazing. You would think it would be exhausting but you both are running on so much adrenaline and excitment that it doesn't matter. It's when you get home that the exhaustion starts to catch up with you. We have had numerous doctor appointments because Weston was born jaundice so we've had to get his poor little heel pricked constantly to check his levels. But besides that he is a healthy and happy baby! He only cries during the typical times (hungry, dirty, or needs burped) and he loves to snuggle with his mom and dad. I feel like we have adjusted well to this new life and it's almost like we have always had him around and I can't picture our life before him.

Now.. we are about to embark on a whole new journey of moving from AZ to MS. We only have 4 more weeks left here and then it will be a whole new chapter in our lives. I can't wait to see what the future has in store for us and to share our little man with all of our friends and family :)

Here are some of the newborn pictures we had done yesterday. Tawnya Hood with Beauty of Life photography did another amazing job and I'm so glad we decided to have these done. They are priceless and I can't wait to see the rest of them.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing Ash! So happy for your new little family!